Local Tech Repair: The Best Free Anti-Virus Comparison - Clamwin VS McAfee VS Norton VS Avira VS AVG and More

Sunday, July 10, 2011

The Best Free Anti-Virus Comparison - Clamwin VS McAfee VS Norton VS Avira VS AVG and More

I have always wondered if clamav is really that bad of a virus scanner compared to others in the industry. Researching on the web I hear a lot of people bashing their definitions database saying that it is worthless but I could never find any comparison between it and other virus scanners. When virus scanners are compared I normally look at av-test.org to see which one is the best for the year. But they don't test clam in their tests. So I figured I do my own test.
So here is what I am doing. I have a virtual machine with windows xp fully updated to the current updates (7-10-11). I will have one antivirus on the OS with nothing else. So it is only the virus scanner and the OS fully updated. I will be using IE for getting the viruses and then doing a virus scan with the virus scanner and seeing how many it picks up and how many it actively blocks. Then I will delete the Virtual Hard drive and start over with a new .vdi (I am using Virtual machine for the VM).

The First Anti Virus I will be testing is Clamwin with clam sentinel for the active scanner sense clamwin does not have a real time scanner. After that I will test it against some of the most common free anti-virus software out there so the free version of AVG, Avira, McAfee, Norton, and More (Post a link to one if you want it tested). After all the tests I will write a conclusion article summarizing the statistical information. All virus tests will also have the same viruses installed (or tried to be installed.)

If you have any suggestions let me know and I will try to do what I can. Each Anti-virus scanner will get their own post with their results.

Looking forward to your commons,
Local Tech Repair Admin


Test Results:
Avira
AVG
ClamWin and Clam Sentinel