Local Tech Repair: Helping the world with your computer

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Helping the world with your computer

Ever want to be part of something big and help change the world? Do you think you can't afford to give money to things like finding a cure for cancer and what not? Well lets talk about how you can help change the world.

Something that I personally been doing for some time now is dedicating part of my CPU down time (When I am off the computer or not playing games) to helping projects like finding a drought resistant crop, cure for cancer, and many other projects. I am a member of the World Community Grid. I use a program called Boinc which gives me numbers to crunch on my computer then I upload them back to the server. Though this is all done by the software so I don't have to worry about doing any of that manually.

World Community Grid is just one of many different project communities out there that try to get you to donate your idle processing power to them.

But here are some safety tips if you are going to donate your time. make sure that your fans on your computer are clean and unblocked sense they will be blowing more and if they are blocked your risk over heating your computer. keep an eye on the temperature of your to make sure your staying in the safe range for your processor. This is very important if you are using your GPU to process also sense this will increase the over all temperature of the system and also risk over heating your computer. If your temperature over heats this can be bad on your computer hardware and can damage it so it is best to stay on the safe side and clean out your fan and heat sinks.

If you want to check out some of the completed work that World Community Grid has done. check out this link

I would suggest that everyone checks this out. If your worried about it taking up all your processing power you can limit it to x percentage of your processor. You can also set days a week and many other settings so that the processing does not bug you or when your are using the computer that it does not run at all but only when you leave or have nothing running.

I hope you look more in to this as this is one way many millions of people could help find a cure for things like cancer or find better foods.

Hope you join me,
-Local Tech Repair Admin

No comments:

Post a Comment